Friday, September 26, 2008

Dearest Cim, if you only knew then what you know now...

Dearest Cim

I know how excited you must be for the year ahead and yes, I know your little secret about the reason behind choosing Rhodes; I think your dad does as well. There are three main things I would like to call your attention to and if you are able to heed my advice on these three topics, I think you will find first year less of a battle ground and more of an “opportunity to grow”. By the way, nice line for the parentals although, yet again, I hardly believe that dad is that gullible… I think he might suspect that “opportunity to grow” translates perfectly to “I heart Christopher forever”.

Firstly and most importantly, I know you love Chris. Eventually he will know as well, but it is imperative that you maintain a sense of the relationship from a more logical and mature perspective or it will become the main repetitive volcanic eruption throughout the year. It is going to be a bumpy ride but ride the wave, you may find that after various “Oh my soul, life is no longer worth living” moments, you will actually live through it and actually learn something. Stick it out and think before you tantrum, as you may learn in anger management later on this year, you don’t throw the tantrum, it throws you. Chris is just a bit on the slow side, eventually he will realise, as will you. Keep calm and stay focused on the things that matter, like your own happiness, not everyone else’s.

Secondly, just say no. Cimone, you can be such an idiot sometimes. Don’t disappoint yourself by getting involved with stupid things you know you should stay away from. You might think that you are a party veteran, trust me, you will discover a whole new extreme within yourself which will push you to the breaking point physically. It is really not worth it. Neither are the numerous car accidents you will have when you “thought you were okay to drive” but then you weren’t. Be mature for once in your life and realise that after all these years, dad, yet again was right. There truly is no happy medium for you. Well now would be the time to find one or you might just discover that sharing a beer with a homeless man on the side walk is really not as far out of your league as you might have previously thought. So to sum it up, everything in moderation except for drugs of course which really will mess you around – keep that defiant head of yours, it really will come in handy this year.

Finally and ironically this encapsulates the above two issues. A simple question to help explain; what do you get when you take a severely agro Cimone and add an idiot boyfriend and about two six packs? Yeah, I thought so. Both of the above, Christopher and alcohol abuse will lead to your ultimate break down. It really is not as serious as you think it is.

As usual, you will probably spend the year being as high-strung as ever. I would like to suggest yoga? Be happy, it is not half bad. Get up every morning and attempt a lecture or two, if not do the things that make you happy like midnight flower stealing sprees with friends. It really does work out in the end.

Love from a much more high-strung and maybe slightly more mature
Cimone

3 comments:

Mooks said...

Cimone, you wrote in your letter exactly what I wished to write in mine but couldn’t find the words. I am pretty sure my parents know that I followed my ex-boyfriend to Rhodes. I thought I had convinced them that if I was going to do Journalism I wanted to go to the best Journalism school in SA, but like you say- parents aren’t gullible. Rhodes has been a hellish night-mare because of him but also I wouldn’t have made it without him. He is my best friend (ironically). I am also highly strung and am looking for ways to get out of it. I took this focus in my letter (www.themind-dumps.blogspot.com) where I reminisced about the way I used to be liberated like a child. Your story hit home, right on target, it made me realise what I have been doing all along. Thank you, I don’t feel so isolated now.

Mooks said...

Ok so I'm completely confused about this whole comment deal here and where im meant to link what blog to where and how (phfew! this is exhausting!)

But here is my next attempt at the comment.

One of the most difficult things this year for me has been letting go of my ex-boyfriend.I'm pretty sure that my parents know that I followed my ex to Rhodes. I was under the illusion that I would be able to survive in the same environment as him. Boy, was I wrong. Up and downs all came my way and being the highly strung person that I was I have had some serious struggles. I have just tried to throw myslef into what ever I can to try new outlets.
But thank you, being able to relate to someone is great.

Keep Smiling.
Lauren
http://www.themind-dumps.blogspot.com

Dee said...

Hey Cim.
reading your letter really helped me a lot because it made me realise that i am not alone and that not matter how tough a situation is there is always a way out. I really felt like it related to me especially with the alcohol and partyin part. I, too thought that I was a party freak and that there was not a higher limit to partyin. but when I got here I soon realised that there are extremes to every single thing in life and it is our own choice as to whether we break the limit or not. Your letter is awsome and it really made me fel a lot better about my varsity life and the choices that I have made this year.
luv Dee.xx
Dysfunkshunl