Friday, September 26, 2008

A letter to my younger self
(370 words)
By: Nyeleti Machovani

Dear Michelle
The grapevine has it that you have been reminiscing about the good days of olden times. Get your head out of the sand! How are you old friend? It has been a while! I guess life doesn’t stop for memories. It makes them along the way with progression. Rhodes is a blast ‘Chelle, but I will attest- first year is a shocker! Fill in your application and join me in this crazy world.. This is not high school and bonding with your books is a relationship you can’t break off from. Exams are around the corner; denial will not get us anywhere. I think the fact that I’ve stopped running from this reality shows an inch of maturity. Its funny how we would day dream under that marula tree, imagining a ‘top billing’ life and how one truly starts living in university. Oh, life certainly happens; amidst the drinking and partying. Bask in your new found impending freedom, but let me remind you ‘Chelle that degree will not say: Honours in clubbing. Trust me. Varsity and studying- I know, I mentioned the dreaded word. Yes...say it with me...“studying”, the two exist in symbiosis. Don’t say I never warned you.
We had good times didn’t we? Life was so carefree! I can’t stop smiling when I think back to the shenanigans we would get up to. But we were dreamers’ u and I. I still remember how my dad’s hair would turn grey every time he saw the phone bill. The hours spent talking about corporate ladders and power suites driven by imported power steering German sedans. It all starts somewhere. That dream. But it should not end there. Mrs Leigh always said girls don’t sweat. They glow. So never stop dreaming, but remember to glow your way to success. It begins with initiating a long term relationship with your pen, textbook and neon highlighter.
That pot of gold at the end of the rainbow has our names on it. The path is carved and the journey awaits you. Prepare while others are day dreaming and study while others are sleeping. I’ll see you at the end of that indigo coloured rainbow stripe and we’ll soar together to an indigo sky.
Love, your good old friend

1 comment:

Mnix said...

Quite deep, and yet such a wonderful relationship displayed between older and younger self. The mention of the notable difference between high school and varsity life also comes across quite well, without sounding motherly at all. The 1 similarity i can note with my blog goes as far as mentioning the different things that one can expect from varsity, and that's where it ends. The use of anecdotes and metaphors is far more prevalent in this letter than in mine, but overall it is just well written, if i were michelle i would be quite ready to "follow that indigo rainbow"